Lake Kourna, a must-see hidden gem in Crete
Welcome to lake Kourna! You have just reached one of the largest freshwater lakes in Crete! According to the local legend, there’s a fairy in the lake, protecting the flora and fauna of this magical place! With amazing views and beautiful waters, Kourna lake is perfect for relaxing, swimming and picnicking! This serene location is full of attractions to keep everybody entertained.
5 reasons you should visit Kourna lake.
- Lake Kourna is ideal for family fun. You can have a dip at calm, transparent waters, perfect for little swimmers. You can rent a pedal boat and go around the lake or go snorkeling! Imagine Kourna lake as a natural outdoor aquarium! That is because you can see ducks, geese, eels, water snakes, lake turtles and, of course, fish!
- If you’re not into swimming, you can have an amazing time just strolling around the lake. The breathtaking view and the mountainous landscape make the perfect ambience for relaxing while taking a walk.
- Once here, you should take advantage of the opportunity to taste the amazing Cretan cuisine. The taverns around Kourna lake offer a great range of local dishes that you shouldn’t miss. Add the tranquility of the place and the beautiful view!
- Lake Kourna is suitable for a day trip from Chania. Sunbeds, umbrellas as well as cafes and restaurants make sure that you will enjoy your time there. Just bring along your sunblock!
- If you want to explore a little further, you can visit the picturesque nearby village of Kournas. Admire the unspoiled beauty of this traditional village. Enjoy the magnificent view over the lake!
How to reach lake Kourna from Chania.
Getting to lake Kourna is very easy. It is situated around 40 km east of Chania. Just take the route towards Georgioupolis, then follow the signs to lake Kourna!