Culture – Activities 05.12-11.12
• Exhibition: “John Craxton: A Greek Soul”, at the Municipal Art Gallery of Chania, until January 31, 2023. Opening hours: Monday – Closed. Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 21:00. Sunday: 10:00-14:00 with free entry. (https://pinakothiki-chania.gr/exhibition/john-craxton-mia-elliniki-psychi/)
• Until the middle of January 2023 photo exhibition “Renato Mordo. Jew, Greek and German. The life of an artist in the age of extremes”, at the Orthodox Academy of Crete with free admission (https://www.oac.gr/el/epikaira/enimerwtika-deltia/ekthesi-gia-ton-renato-mordo-stin-orthodoxo- akadimia-kritis-p675.html )
• “MicroWorld” photo exhibition by Nikos Kampianakis, at Voukolies Cultural Center ( Voukolies – Municipality of Platanias ) .
The Municipality of Platanias, continuing the presentation of art and culture activities in Voukolies Cultural Center , co-organizes with the Region of Crete – Chania Regional Unit the photo exhibition ‘MicroWorld ‘ (the world of insects), by the photographer Nikos Kampianakis. The exhibition will remain open until December 20 with opening hours: Daily 10:00-13:00, Saturday 17:00-20:00 and Sunday 11:00-19:00 Curated by: Yiannis Markantonakis and Michalis Kalaitzakis. Entry is free to the public.
• Open Sails 2022 “Lakes: Myths, stories and meanings” by Olga Evaggelidou, Nefelis Papaioannou, Irene Ragusini – Short film and Art exhibition at the Hammam on Katre Street ( 07.12 – 18.12 )
The exhibition “Lakes: Myths, Stories and Meanings” by: Olga Evaggelidou, Nefelis Papaioannou and Irene Ragusini deals with a variant of the myth of Lake Kournas and highlights contemporary issues of protection of women, children and nature from two unique locations, the aforementioned natural lake as well as the artificial lake Agyia, near Chania. The flood myth symbolizes justice, purification and the generative power of nature.
Opening: Wednesday 07 December
Katre Street Hammam
With the presence of the artists and the curator
( https://www.chania-culture.gr/services/events/ekthesi/anoichta-pania-2022-limnes-mythoi-istories-kai-noimata-2/ )
• “Freedom in Bremen” by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, adapted, directed, set, costumes, and music edited by Nikos Mastorakis, from DIPETHEK. From November 30 to December 11, Venizelio Odeio of Chania – “Manolis Skouludis” Hall: Monday – Saturday at 9:00 p.m. (except Tuesday), Sunday at 7:30 p.m. More information: www.dipethekritis.gr
• The Region of Crete – Regional Unit of Chania presents the play “Free-eros”, at the “Dimitris Vlisidis” Theater from Saturday 3 to Monday 5 December 2022, at 21.00. FREE ENTRY (https://el-gr.facebook.com/pneumatikokentrochanion/
• The Municipality of Chania, the Municipal Library of Chania, KEPPEDICH-KAM, the Philological Association of the Prefecture of Chania, the bookstore LIBRAIRIE and Kastaniotis Publications are organizing an event for the presentation of Rhea Galanaki’s new novel “Emmanuel Kai Aikaterini – “Fairytales that are not fairy tales”, on Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 7 p.m. at the MEDITERRANEAN ARCHITECTURE CENTER (KAM).
( https://www.chania-culture.gr/services/events/ekdiloseis/emmanouil-kai-aikaterini-ta-paramythia-pou-den-einai-paramythia/ )
- “Christmas in Chania”: Lighting of the large Christmas tree of the Municipality of Chania in the Venetian Harbor – Friday, 09/12/2022
The event will start with festive songs-carols from the Children-Teenage Choir of the Municipality of Chania and holiday tunes from the Philharmonic of the Municipality of Chania, while after the lighting of the tree there will be a concert with the band of Manos Malaxianakis. There will be many surprises and treats for all .
- The main festive events in the Municipality of Chania for Christmas and New Year
( https://www.chania.gr/enimerosi/municipality-press-releases/xmas2122022.html )
• TEDxChania 2022 • Turning Points
It’s time to meet, in person. A day with 15 live Speeches, 6 interactive Workshops and 3 unique Performances at the “Mikis Theodorakis” Theatre. Appointment at 09:00 on 10.12! ( Arrival time 08:30 )
Participation with a ticket – More information:
( https://www.chania-culture.gr/services/events/ekdiloseis/tedxchania-2022-turning-points-simeia-kabis/ )
• Open Sails 2022: “We are the houses we lived in” by Katerina Markoulakis – Observational documentary short film, at the Dimitris Vlissidis Theater
A photo album, mixed with vague memories and impressions of people, relationships and ultimately an entire era.
A road trip to the village of the director’s mother.
“We are the houses we lived in” is a journey of self-awareness and reflection on the boundaries of gender relations, family ties and social conventions. A journey of discovery of the untold stories, a ceremony of forgiveness, reconciliation and acceptance.
Free entry with reservation
Saturday 10.12: 20:30
Sunday 11.12: 13:00
( https://www.chania-culture.gr/services/events/ekdiloseis/anoichta-pania-2022-eimaste-ta-spitia-pou-mesa-tous-zisame-2/ )
• Musical Theater Show: “Go and Good luck Snails”.
TrypArt presents the musical theater show Go and good luck Saliages for the last time!
The performance concerns a composition of theatrical prose and interpolation of musical parts on the artistic work and personality of the Creators of the Greek Rock Scene, Nikolas Asimos and Pavlos Sidiropoulos, in a script idea by Manos Trypias.
Sunday, December 11
General admission: 10 euros ( https://www.chania-culture.gr/services/events/theatro/ante-kai-kali-tychi-saliagkes/ )
- DOCUMENTARY SHOWING
The Region of Crete – Chania Regional Unit presents the documentaries
True Crete – ASSI GONIA & ANOPOLI
on Sunday, December 11, 2022, at the Pneumatic Center of Chania, with free entry.
The documentaries are produced by the Region of Crete – Chania Regional Unit in co-production with Nea TV of Crete.
18.30 – 19.30: Asi Gonia
19.30 – 20.00: Break
20.00 – 20.30: Anopoli