Culture – Activities
• Exhibition: “John Craxton: A Greek Soul” , at the Municipal Art Gallery of Chania, until January 31, 2023. Opening hours: Monday – Closed. Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 to 14:00 and 18:00 to 21:00. Sunday: 10:00-14:00 with free entry. (https://pinakothiki-chania.gr/exhibition/john-craxton-mia-elliniki-psychi/)
• Until the middle of January 2023 photo exhibition “Renato Mordo. Jew, Greek and German. The life of an artist in the age of extremes”, at the Orthodox Academy of Crete with free admission (https://www.oac.gr/el/epikaira/enimerwtika-deltia/ekthesi-gia-ton-renato-mordo-stin-orthodoxo- akadimia-kritis-p675.html )
• 100 Years since the Asia Minor Disaster – Asia Minor, Refugee Hellenism Exhibition
On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Asia Minor Disaster, the Region of Crete – Chania Regional Unit and the Pneumatic Center of Chania in collaboration with the Municipality of Chania, KEPPEDIX – KAM, the Pontian Associations of Chania “Romania” and “Panagia Sumela”, the Brotherhood Asia Minor Prefecture of Chania “Agios Polykarpos”, the Center for Asia Minor and Pontic Research, the Greek High School of Chania and the Technical Chamber of Greece / Department of Western Crete present the anniversary historical chronicle: Asia Minor, Exhibition of Refugee Hellenism.
The exhibition is curated by Lefteris Lambrakis, while its organization and production belong to the Cultural Society of Crete.
The exhibition to be held at the Chania Pneumatic Center includes maps, works of art, rare publications, pictures, church relics, photographs, engravings, clothing, jewelry, handicrafts, personal items, war relics, extensive archival material, newspapers, letters, cards and many other evidences. Excerpts from personal testimonies complete the narration of the important History. The material of the Exhibition comes from the collaborating Associations, as well as from private Collections.
Exhibition duration: Thursday, December 15, 2022 – Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Opening Hours: 10.00 – 14.00 & 18.00 – 21.00
• Exhibition of the Lyceum Club of Greek Women of Chania.”FROM THE HANDWORKING TO THE HANDWORKING” THE URBAN WOMEN’S CLOTHING OF THE 20TH CENTURY IN CHANIA, at Voukolies Cultural Center ( Voukolies – Municipality of Platanias ) .
The Municipality of Platanias organizes with the support of the Region of Crete – Regional Unit of Chania, the exhibition of the Lyceum Club of Greek Women of Chania.”FROM SURGERY TO HANDMADE” URBAN WOMEN’S CLOTHING OF THE 20TH CENTURY IN CHANIA, curated by Valia Margaritis, Set Designer – Costume Designer.
Opening on Friday, December 30, 2022 at 7:00 p.m., at Voukolies Cultural Center ( Voukolies – Municipality of Platanias ) .
Exhibition duration: 30/12/2022 – 28/02/2023
Opening hours of the exhibition:
From Monday to Friday 10:00 – 13:00
Saturday 17:00 – 20:00
Sunday 11:00 – 19:00
Entrance is free for the public.
The Region of Crete – Regional Unit of Chania, the Pneumatic Center of Chania and the Association of Philologists of the Prefecture of Chania in collaboration with the Municipality of Chania, the Municipal Library of Chania, “Potamos publications” and the bookstore “To biblio” are holding a presentation event of the book “Democracy of of dreams” by Niki Troullinou, on Wednesday, January 11, 2023, at 7:15 p.m. at the Spiritual Center of Chania.
Speakers: Anna Lampardakis, Philologist, Dimitris Maridakis, Journalist and the Author.
The Association of Friends of the Theater of Chania presents the play by Charles Dickens “A Christmas Story” 6 and 7/1/2023 at the Pneumatic Center of Chania .
After the huge response of the public and in order to be able to see it for those who did not make it, the Association of Friends of the Theater of Chania, with the co-organization of the Region of Crete – Regional Unity of Chania and the Pneumatic Center of Chania, will repeat the performances with the work of Charles Dickens “A Christmas Story”.
The performances will be given at the Spiritual Center of Chania, on Friday 6/1/2023 and Saturday 7/1/2023 at 8.00 pm, with free entry. Optional food offer for the Community Grocery of the Chania Regional Unit.
The main festive events in the Municipality of Chania for Christmas and New Year
• From Thrace to Morea and from Chania to Polis…
Traditional & “Loya Anatolic Music”
The musical group “Idyphonia” of the Venizeleian Conservatory of Chania, was created in 2022 with the aim of studying and presenting various types of Greek traditional and Loya oriental music.
Thursday, January 5, 2023
“Mikis Theodorakis” Theater